QuickSet® is Universal Electronics’ award winning product family and the de facto solution for simplifying universal control setup and operation. QuickSet solution is a widely deployed technology already in over 400 million devices around the world including set-top boxes, televisions, game consoles, smartphones, and tablets to enable effortless configuration and control of nearly any connected home device.
QuickSet products include a range of patent protected, data driven intelligent engines built on top of UEI’s industry-leading global device control database, to automate discovery and operation of devices in the home.
Set-top Box Implementation
Automatic Discovery and setup of TVs and AVRs has never been easier! Enable consumers to start watching TV without any manual setup steps, and get to your content with a single touch, aka One Touch View. To get started, checkout QuickSet Cloud for Set-top Box and watch this video.
QuickSet Cloud automatically detects and sets up content source devices turning them into another app on the smart TV, and allowing direct tune to content with a single touch; we think this is how a smart TV should be! Check out what our customers have done with this technology. To get started with this implementation, refer to QuickSet Cloud for TV and watch this video for an overview.
QuickSet Cloud is a cloud platform implementation of QuickSet using standard web technologies, providing real-time access to device database; and intelligent engines such as:
At the core of every QuickSet solution, Discovery Engine enables automatic discovery and configuration of control interfaces for most HDMI or IP-connected devices, using standard and proprietary data transmitted over these networks.
Intelligent filtering, prioritization and model search capabilities based on market & location specific meta-data also help in simplifying on-screen wizard to only what is relevant to the consumer, improving the user experience.
A breakthrough new introduction, Predictive Engine, extends the automatic discovery and control capabilities of QuickSet by using a multitude of device attributes and a predictive algorithm to identify a growing set of traits and capabilities for a given target device. This can drastically simplify the user setup experience and enable a range of new applications for smart device vendors.
As an example, with Predictive Engine, QuickSet can now provide Smart TV manufacturers with an accurate prediction of a consumer’s content provider or compatible second screen applications to help SmartTVs interact and deliver value-add services based on the connected set-top box.
Control Plus™ Activity Engine
This patent-protected solution addresses common consumer challenges in universal device control, such as mode confusion and input switching. With Control Plus Engine, consumers switch easily between activities and reliably view their chosen content source with a single touch, and Control Plus handles the device specific control requirements.
- One Touch View (OTV), a control function that enables users to instantly view their desired content with a single button press on the remote regardless of the state of the set-top box, TV or connected media device. Unlike many of the devices on the market today, this must have feature is not limited to HDMI-CEC devices, but delivers true universal market compatibility.
- Smart device integration – brings universal control & smart activities into second screen apps and provides synchronization across multiple screens
- Universal Electronics’ world-class device database comes with the most robust collection of device discovery fingerprint and control codes (including discrete Infrared and proprietary-CEC), updated in real-time, ensuring successful control of the entire entertainment system and a growing range of connected devices
- Flexible integration based on simple Web APIs, including server-to-server for cloud video delivery platforms, resource-constrained devices in IoT domain, and cross platform mobile applications
- Alternatively, QuickSet released as an embedded application supports a range of platforms including Linux, Android, iOS, and Windows as well as specific services for RDK and Android platforms; more info here.